Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Can I receive a refund for the books i bought in college?

I heard at my college (Rio Hondo in Whittier)

Well one of my instructors talking about a government program that refunds the money on the books spent in college onto your year taxes.

I was wondering if this was true and if it was what is the website

that i can apply at or sign up for.

Thanks for your help!Can I receive a refund for the books i bought in college?
Books are an eligible expense for a small tax write off when someone files thier personal income taxes. You would do this when you file your 09 taxes in Feb or March and you would have to itemize your expenses. (Most students don't make enough money to itemize and also don't have enough itemized expenses to justify this). Your parents would have better luck successfully doing this if you are their dependent.



Also you can't write off your books if someone else paid for them (like if they were paid exclusively by a Pell grant.Can I receive a refund for the books i bought in college?
The Hope Tax Credit has been renamed the American Opportunity tax credit and has been expanded to included deduction for required books ("course materials").



http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,i鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment